My soup and chili roundup from yesterday, sure put me in the mood for a tasty warming bowl of soup! I also had a head of cauliflower sitting in the fridge that was literally dying to be used. I wanted to create a light, yet hearty soup that would keep me satisfied throughout the day. I didn’t want any excuse to reach for the last of the Christmas cookies!
Light and flavorful soup with simple healthy ingredients.
- 1 large head cauliflower (about 2.5 lbs.)
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, diced or sliced
- 5 medium carrots (about 0.5 lbs.)
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup almond milk (any milk or additional water/broth will work)
- Pour 1/2 cup water in a 9x13 dish and place the head of cauliflower in the dish. Roast for about 60 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Slow cook onion in olive oil for about 15 minutes and until onion is very soft.
- Add chunks of roasted cauliflower, sliced carrots and broth (or water) to the cooked onions. Allow this mixture to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add almond milk and stir to combine.
- Transfer this mixture to a high-speed blender or food processor. I used a Vitamix. This may need to be done in several batches, depending on the size of your blender. Puree until soup is smooth.
- Transfer soup back to skillet and bring soup to a simmer to warm. Serve with crackers, toast and/or croutons. Best is served with a grilled cheese! Enjoy!
It really doesn't matter how you slice or dice the onion, carrots and cauliflower because it will all be pureed anyway.
This recipe is made from the simplest ingredients, yet they come together to create a flavorful, light and super healthy bowl of soup. I ate this soup for lunch with toast and then one day with a grilled cheese. I love dipping the bread in the soup…. soooooo good!
On another note, last night we finally took care of the item on last years winter bucket list that didn’t get checked off…. we went ice skating! Landen surprised me with how good he was. Madelyn and I stumbled round and round, but managed to still have fun.
Something to think about….
Have you ever been ice skating? Were you any good?
Have you ever made a cauliflower soup? I really enjoyed this soup and loved the creaminess that the cauliflower added to the soup.
Are you up to anything fun this weekend? I had my fun with the ice skating and I think today will be all about relaxing with a little laundry sprinkled in.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!