Roasted chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are a fairly new-found food of mine. And I’m so glad that I found them! Roasted chickpeas are so easy to make, there are tons of different flavor combos that you could come up with and they’re very filling. They work well as a snack, but are also super good as a salad topper…. I love that crunch! And such a healthier alternative to the old stand-by, the crouton.
The first roasted chickpea recipe that I made was from Angela at Oh She Glows and I was pretty much in love at first bite. Her recipe is for a savory chickpea, but being the sweetaholic that I am, I took it upon myself to create a sweeter roasted chickpea.
Crispy roasted chickpeas.... A delicious healthy snack or salad topper!
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas (or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Line a baking sheet with a couple of paper towels and place chickpeas on the paper towels. Grab a few more paper towels and place on top of the chickpeas. Roll chickpeas around with the paper towels, to allow them to become super dry; which will help make them extra crispy.
- Add all ingredients along with the chickpeas to a medium bowl and toss to combine and fully coat chickpeas with the seasoning.
- Discard paper towels and line baking sheet with parchment paper, foil or spray with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Transfer chickpeas back to the baking sheet and bake them at 400 for 20 mins. After 20 mins of baking shake the baking pan and allow them to cook another 20 mins. Keep an eye on them because oven temps vary and you don't want them to burn.
- Most crispy when enjoyed immediately, but I store them in the fridge for about 1 week for a quick salad topper.
For Angela’s recipe, you follow the same instructions and you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 (15-oz) can chickpeas (or 1.5 cups cooked)
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
Something to think about…..
Ever tried roasted chickpeas? Were yours savory or sweet? I think a pumpkin pie spice combo would be incredible!
What is your favorite crispy salad topper?
It’s Thursday, any big plans this weekend? I have VERY big plans!!! I’m so excited that tomorrow morning, I’ll be on a flight headed to Minnesota to attend the Healthy Living Summit. I’m so looking forward to meeting all of my bloggie friends and learning a little something too!
Hope your Thursday is filled with happiness and smiles!