Good morning, friends! My weekend is going great so far and I’ve got lots of fun things to share with you for Marvelous Monday!
If you’re food prepping for the week, then this is the perfect recipe for you. Super simple…just throw all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and this can be cooking while you’re prepping other foods. If you’d rather make the soup during the work week, you can mix all of the ingredients in the slow cooker the night before and store in the fridge. The next morning, before you leave the house, turn the crockpot on low and let this slow cook while you’re away. You’ll come home to a warm, comforting and very tasty meal that is sure to become a family favorite.
Brad and I both agreed that this might be the best slow cooker meal I’ve made yet! We also both agree, that this soup is absolutely perfect served over brown rice and topped with avocado slices.
- About 1 lb. chicken breast (I used 2 large chicken breasts.)
- 2 cans of beans, drained & rinsed (I used 1 can of black beans and 1 can of pinto beans- strongly recommend this combo.)
- 1 can of black refried beans (Trader Joe’s makes a great black refried bean with jalapeno peppers- it’s not spicy, but super tasty.)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth (It may seem pretty liquidy, but if you’re serving over brown rice, you’ll need the extra liquid.)
- 1 cup frozen corn, canned corn will also work
- 1/2 onion, diced (I used a red onion.)
- 1/2 tsp dried cilantro leaves (If using fresh cilantro, use 1/4 cup)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne red pepper
- 1-1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste (I didn’t need any extra, but Brad did.)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for about 6 hours. My chicken and corn were both frozen when I stated my slow cooker.
- Once soup is fully cooked, take chicken breast out and shred it with two forks. Add shredded chicken back in and stir.
- Serve over brown rice and top with desired ingredients; such as sour cream or Greek yogurt, grated cheese, salsa and/or avocado.
If you need a vegetarian alternative, I would just leave the chicken out. This soup will be plenty thick without it due to the refried beans. You could also always add in chopped zucchini or a vegetarian meatless “meat”.
Something to think about…..
Do you have plans to food prep today?
How’s your weekend going? Any great workouts? I did this one last night and it’s always a buttkicker, plus it flies by!
Have a SUPER Sunday and I’ll see you back here for Marvelous in my Monday….I have some exciting news to share with you!