Hi all! Any special Valentine’s Day plans yet? We usually don’t do anything all that special for Valentine’s Day around here, but I do usually make special treats for the kids and I usually try to prepare a special dinner, that I know everyone will LOVE.
An extra special breakfast is the perfect way to start Valentine’s Day or any day for that matter! Not only are these pancakes SUPER festive for your sweetie, but they’re also SUPER nutritious! The bright red hue comes from the one and only….. beets.
Check out some reasons why beets are sooooo special and why you should be including them in your diet…..
And now, let’s get to this yummy breakfast treat!
- ¼ cup beet puree (to make beet puree- roast a small beet (wrapped in foil) for 60 mins at 400 F and then puree in a food processor)
- ½ cup cottage cheese (yogurt would probably work too)
- ¾ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (any milk or water will work)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 heaping tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp pure honey (local, if possible) (optional)
- 1 cup pancake mix (I use Kodiak Cake Mix.)
- Toppings; such as fruit, maple syrup, and powdered sugar
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium to high heat and spray with natural cooking spray.
- Combine the first six ingredients; beet puree through honey (if using) in a large bowl.
- Stir in the pancake mix.
- Drop desired size spoonfuls of batter onto skillet. To make a heart-shaped pancake, I used a large heart cookie cutter. I put the cookie cutter down on the skillet and spooned the batter into the cookie cutter and then removed the cookie cutter to finish cooking the pancakes (a few minutes on each side).
- Top with desired toppings.
If you’re interested in another way to incorporate beets into your diet, give my Beet Hummus a try. It’s seriously irresistible!
Don’t forget to enter the Carrot Cake Vita Top giveaway. You can enter everyday through Friday.
Something to think about…..
Do you ever do anything special for Valentine’s Day?
What’s your favorite Valentine treat?
What’s your favorite way to eat beets?
Have you ever tried Kodiak Cake pancake mix?
See you back here tomorrow for What I Ate
Wednesday this week!